How to Get Products Certified in Japan
To sell a product in Japan, the manufacturer or seller should first decide if the product is subject to mandatory certification. Certain products are subject to mandatory certification due to their function or potential safety risks.
Others, however, are subject to voluntary standards, which may be quicker or more cost-effective to fulfill than the full mandatory certification process. If the product is not subject to mandatory certification and product marking, make sure your exception is well-documented to avoid long, costly delays in Japanese customs.
If your product is subject to JIS certification or other mandatory certification, be prepared to:
- Determine the applicable standard(s) for your product.
- Fully complete certification documentation.
- Arrange a factory inspection for the manufacturing facility.
- Prepare product samples for testing at an approved test laboratory.
- Ship product samples to the appropriate testing or certification body and clear samples through Japanese customs.
- Address any issues raised during testing, and submit new product samples or documentation if needed.
- Submit final test report to the appropriate certification bodies.
If the certification is approved, the JIS mark (or other certification) mark must be affixed to the product properly to demonstrate compliance.
The certification must also be renewed on a regular basis for the products to remain compliant and stay on the market. If the certification expires, the responsible party must pay a hefty fine, or products can be taken off the shelves entirely. G&M Compliance offers the Certificate Alert & Tracking System (CATS) to help companies track, maintain, and renew Japanese product certifications proactively.
G&M Compliance: Your Partner for Japan Product Certification
G&M Compliance is a full-service compliance partner. Our experience with JIS certification, plus our established relationships with Japanese certification authorities, means you can get your certification and go to market faster.
We offer a wide range of services to help you obtain certification for the first time, certify new products for sale in Japan, renew existing certificates, and clear products through Japanese customs. Contact G&M Compliance today to learn more about product certification for Japan.